If you are in Dalhousie, you can’t miss getting on the highest peak in the town. They call it Dainkund Peak, which is heaven for nature lovers, photographers, trekkers, and everyone who enjoys adventure. It is a must-visit place in Dalhousie. The trail to this trek is what makes it so popular and every Dalhousie visitor strictly put the place on his itinerary.
This guide contains every piece of information you must know if you are going there.
Dainkund Peak: History, Geography, Timing & Nearby Places
Location and Geography of Dainkund Peak
The trek lies near Rakhed village in the Chamba district. It is 13 kilometers from Dalhousie. The trekkers start from Alha to reach the peak covering 4.5 kilometers. It is 2755 meters above sea level. The place is known for the trail which takes the trekkers up here.
The Dainkund weather is typical of that of a hill station – pleasant summers and severe winters. Summer months maybe a little hot but not uncomfortable at 38⁰C. Tourists flock to the place mostly in winter. From December to March, the mercury falls significantly to as low as 8⁰C. The place experiences snowfall in peak winter. The rainy season is slippery and potentially dangerous but it has its own beauty.
Simply put, you can be here at any time of the year, depending on your vacationing goals and the time at hand. Mind you, Dainkund Peak Dalhousie has something for everyone.
How to Reach Dainkund Peak?
To reach Dainkund Peak, you must first arrive at Dalhousie. Here are several ways to reach Dalhousie.
- By Air– You can reach Gaggal Airport, which is 130 kms away. You can take a bus or private cab from there to get to the city.
- By Train- You can reach Pathankot, the nearest railway station is 80 kms from Dalhousie. You can arrive at Pathankot directly from Delhi, Jammu, Jodhpur, Jaipur, Amritsar, Bathinda, etc. From Pathankot, hire a private cab to reach Dalhousie.
- By Road- Overnight HRTC buses are available from Delhi and Chandigarh to reach Dalhousie.
The trek to Dainkund Peak starts from Alha, a small village only 6 km away from Dalhousie. From there, it’s a 4.5 kms walk. You can reach Alha via a cab and then trek to the peak. It is a one-day trek, full of beauty and some stunning experiences. As a side note, Dalhousie distance from Diankund is roughly 15.5 kms, which can be covered in 45 minutes or so.
History of Dainkund Peak
The name of the peak has a story behind it. Dainkund means ‘The City Of Witches”. It is believed that in older times, witches used to reside here. As per the local folklore, the witches used to trouble the villagers. Despite these nasty stories, Dalhousie Dainkund Peak is one of the most visited places in the region.
What is Dainkund Peak Known For?
- The trek is so popular because of the scenic views you can see from up here. Once you reach the peak, you feel like floating in the clouds. It is a high peak that offers a 360⁰ view of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- In the winter season, there is snow everywhere, which covers it in a white sheen. The place looks no less than a paradise.
- The path to this hill makes it so engaging. It is filled with tall deodar trees, greenery, dense forests walking beside you, birds hovering overhead and singing melodious songs. The colorful flowers welcome you to their abode and the silent, cool breeze touches your cheeks as you reach there.
- You can see three prominent rivers of Himachal Pradesh flowing from up here. These include Beas, Chenab, and Ravi. The rivers look like silver lines flowing amidst the luxuriant greenery.
- Khajjiar Lake can be seen from here. The little mud houses in the nearby villages look so tiny, and the greenery in which they are set makes the scene gorgeous. The place is full of wild, colorful flowers in the rainy season, making the hill a nature lover’s dream come true.
- When the breeze blows and passes the trees, it makes an amazing musical sound that feels sweet like honey. That’s why this valley is also called, “The Singing Peak”.
Things to Do at Dainkund Peak
There is an entire list of the things one can do here.
- First, you can trek to this beautiful hill. The way that leads here is worth capturing in your mind and camera. It must be on your trekking list.
- Above the hills, it is a photographer’s paradise where one can click some Instagram-worthy pictures. No matter where you turn, the scenic beauty of the clouds, hills, flowers, forests, etc., greet your eyes and lens.
- If you are fond of painting, you can paint some beautiful landscapes on your canvas. Many artists come here to do the same.
- Best of all, you can relish in the peace and serenity that the peak offers. This place helps you think clearly, and refresh your mind and soul. For once, you can forget all your worries and only lie in the lap of nature to figure out the real meaning of life.
- It’s also possible to camp here for the night and enjoy stargazing. The little lights illuminate the village and look like twinkling stars on the earth. The entire sky gets filled with abundant stars, and you can spend the night of a lifetime here.
- You can visit the Phaloni Devi Temple here. Also, the Dalhousie Air Force Station is nearby.
Best Time to Visit Dainkund Peak
You can visit this peak any time of the year. Each season presents a distinct beauty and weather. In winters, the entire town gets covered in snow. In summers, the weather is perfect for warding off the heat of the season. In the rainy season, the peak is full of colourful flowers. Tourists mostly prefer to visit between April and June. September to November is also an ideal time to visit.
Other Tourist Places Near Dainkund Peak
In Dalhousie, there are several other tourist spots where one must go. Some major attractions include
- St. Francis Catholic Church
- Chamera Lake
- Khajjiar Lake
- Mall Road
- Sach Pass
- Ganji Pahari
- St. John’s Church
- Bakrota Hills
- Rang Mahal
Some Travelling Tips
For safety and convenience, keep in mind a few important tips while visiting Dainkund Peak.
- The peak is at the height of 2755 meters above sea level. It gets cold here in the evening. So, you must carry warm clothes.
- If you are going to trek, ensure that you have the right clothes, shoes, necessary equipment, and a first-aid kit with you.
- There are always chances of snowfall in winter. So, pick your time, clothes, and shoes carefully.
- Only two kilometers below the peak is the perfect spot for camping if you are planning to spend a night gazing at the stars.
Stay at Dainkund Peak
There is no accommodation facility in Dainkund Peak. But hotel facilities are available in Dalhousie. Both budget hotels and premium resorts are there to cater to every budget. If you want to check into a budget hotel, your best options include:
- Hotel Nature Valley
- Alps Resort
- Grand View Hotel
- Hotel Himdhara
- Amara Blue Magnets etc.
The prices vary between INR 1500 and INR 4500. If budget isn’t an issue, you can stay at:
- Fortune Park Dalhousie
- JK Clarks Exotica
They will charge you anywhere from INR 8500 to INR 11500.
Places to Eat Near Dainkund Peak
Dainkund peak is an uninhabited zone. There are no restaurants up there. If you are going up, you need to get your food packed from Dalhousie itself. When you come back, there are many places where you may try different cuisines. Due to the large number of tourists coming here throughout the year, there are several food options available. From authentic Momos to Chowmein and South Indian Idli, you can savor it all and more.
Some of the famous restaurants in Dalhousie where you can dine include:
- Kwality Restaurant
- Mogas Cafe
- Old Sher-e-Punjab
- Cafe Dalhousie
- The Kettle House
- Tiffins Restaurant
Dalhousie is a beautiful town with such a diversity of tourist attractions. But, a site that everyone must explore is Dainkund Peak. For peace, beauty, photography, and nature, this is a great place to experience it all. So, pack your bags and head straight to Dainkund Peak.
People are also reading: