When it comes to catering to palates, nothing beats the eggless chocolate cake. Here’s a delectable choco eggless cake recipe for you to try at home.
Cakes hold a special place on ceremonial occasions. Think birthdays, weddings, parties, and anniversaries. Previously, cakes were nothing more than sweet bread amalgamated with sweetening agents and dry fruits. With the advent of ovens, cakes have entirely changed their baking methods, appearances, and flavors.
A myriad of cake types are available currently, and there are a lot of ways to categorize them. However, the most common way to categorize them is whether they are eggless or have egg content. Vegetarian people primarily prefer having eggless cake, especially baked at home.
Cakes have limitless variations based on the flavorings added, the shape of the pan used for baking, the proportion of the ingredients used, cooling and storing methods, and the filling and frosting used to name a few. Chocolate cake is one of those limitless variations. Interestingly, chocolate cake, war cake, wacky cake, or depression cake are all the same.
War cake or chocolate cake was invented right back at the time of World War II when the British government introduced the rationing system to overcome food scarcity. Back then, people baked a chocolate cake using basic ingredients, like baking soda, flour, sugar, and oil.
So, let us see how to bake a spongy and light vegan chocolate cake at home in a jiffy. This cake serves as a base for many other decorated cakes and also a plain cake.
Eggless Cake Recipes -Ingredients, Methods & Pro Tips
Eggless Chocolate Cake Recipe
You can bake this cake without requiring a beater or mixer. Even if you have no oven at home, opt for a heavy-bottomed pan or pressure cooker. In fact, our chocolate eggless cake recipe requires no oven but only a pressure cooker or heavy-bottomed pan.
Let us first look at the recipe to bake an eggless chocolate cake in an oven. However, the cake batter and its preparation is the same for both baking approaches: with and without an oven.
1. Cake Batter Preparation
Let’s first discuss the ingredients required for the batter for the eggless cake recipe.
- All-purpose flour – 1 and ½ cups or 180 grams
- Cocoa powder – ¼ cup
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Fine sugar – 1 cup or 200 grams
- Water or milk – 1 cup or 240 ml
- Oil – ⅓ cup or 80 ml
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – 1.2 teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Take a large bowl and place a sieve on it. Add all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt to it. Sieve them all together to aerate the flour, helping the cake turn fluffy.
Step 2. Next, add fine sugar and give it a good mix. You can also opt for coarse sugar. But use it by dissolving in a cup of water that we will use for making a smooth cake batter. Additionally, if you are keen on a healthy cake, prefer using jaggery dissolved in water instead of sugar.
Step 3. Now, put water and oil into the concoction. Try using light oil, like virgin coconut oil, olive oil, etc. Using regular oils may turn the cake scent oily.
Step 4. Next, add vanilla extract and lemon juice. Instead of lime juice, you can opt for vinegar. Using organic vinegar is healthier than the one fermented chemically.
Step 5. After adding all ingredients, take a whisker or a ladle and mix all ingredients well. When you notice bubbles, stop stirring the batter. Bubbles in the cake are due to the reaction of baking soda and lemon juice or vinegar.
Step 6. Take a cake pan and place parchment paper in it. If you do not have it, apply ghee to the pan bottom and sides and dust flour over it. Invert the pan and get rid of the excess flour.
Step 7. Add the prepared batter into the pan and tap it to ensure there are no bubbles or holes inside.
2. Eggless Chocolate Cake in Oven
Use the below instructions for the chocolate eggless cake recipe in the oven.
Step 1. Preheat the oven for 15 minutes at 170C or 340F.
Step 2. Once the oven preheats, place the cake pan and bake for about half an hour. After 25 to 30 minutes, prick a skewer into the cake to know if it is baked. When it comes out clean, the baking is over. But the eggless cake recipe doesn’t end there.
Step 3. It’s time to get the cake pan out and let it cool to room temperature. To take out the cake while retaining its shape, put the cake upside down on a wire rack and tap it. If used parchment paper, remove it and allow the cake to cool.
The plain eggless chocolate cake is ready.
3. Eggless Chocolate Without Oven
Here is a guide to baking a chocolate eggless cake recipe in a pressure cooker.
Step 1. Take a pressure cooker, add salt to its bottom, and spread evenly. Next, take any plate, ring, or hot pot stand and place it over salt. Beware, placing a cake pan directly over the salt may burn your cake.
Step 2. Remove the gasket and whistle from the cooker’s lid. Cover the lid and allow the cooker to preheat for around 15 minutes on a medium flame.
Step 3. Once the cooker gets preheated, place the cake pan in the cooker and cover the cooker with a lid properly. Maintain the stove flame low. The baking time could be an hour or more.
Step 4. Use the same trick of pricking a skewer into the cake. If the skewer comes out clean, the baking is over and you can turn off the stove.
Step 5. Remove the cake pan and let it cool for a few minutes. Again, put the cake upside down on a wire rack and tap it to take out the cake while retaining its shape.
Cool the cake completely before using it as a base for other decorated cakes.
Chocolate Cake Frosting
We shall see two types of easy-to-make frostings for our baked eggless chocolate cake.
1. Chocolate Sauce Frosting
Let us first see what ingredients we need for the chocolate eggless cake recipe.
- Milk – ¾ cup
- Cocoa powder – 2 tablespoons
- Vanilla Extract – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 5 to 6 tablespoons
Take a pan, add all the above ingredients, and cook it on a low flame. Continuously stir the mixture and cook it until it turns thick. Use completely cooled sauce for frosting.
Now, take the cake, add chocolate sauce over it, and spread it evenly on the cake top with a knife or spoon. After that, pour the sauce gently, allowing it to drip on the cake sides. Moreover, garnish the cake with chopped nuts or fruits of your choice.
2. Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Below is the list of ingredients required to make chocolate buttercream frosting.
- Unsalted butter – ¼ cup
- Cocoa powder – 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Powdered sugar – 1 and ½ cups
- Milk – 2 and ½ tablespoons
To make this frosting, you need soft butter that should hold the shape. In a large bowl, add butter and beat it with a whisker until it turns fluffy. You can use a beater here to make the process quick and effortless.
Put powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and milk into the beaten butter. Mix it well, and again beat it enough to achieve fluffiness. Make sure the frosting takes a spreading and smooth consistency. Remember not to overbeat it, as the butter may start melting.
Spread the frosting evenly on the cake top and sides with a knife or spatula. Add sugar sprinkles or chopped dry fruits on the top to make it more attractive.
- To get a perfect and spongy eggless chocolate cake, do not alter the quantity of any ingredient. Plus, ensure to use all ingredients at room temperature.
- Remember not to rest the cake batter for a long time. Start preparing the batter after preheating the oven or pressure cooker, as it takes around 15 to 20 minutes. As soon as your batter is ready, make sure to place it in an oven or pressure cooker. Otherwise, the cake may turn flat.
- Using a good quality baking soda is important for a perfectly baked cake. When you mix baking soda with lemon juice or vinegar, it starts bubbling immediately. However, if bubbling doesn’t take place, the baking soda might be inactive.
- Choose the cake pan that is approximately 8 to 10 inches long. Using the smaller one may damage the cake top with cracks.
- If you are looking for a healthy option for eggless chocolate cake, you can replace all-purpose flour with wheat flour. Add some water with wheat flour, as it soaks more moisture. Using more water may turn your cake denser. But remember that wheat flour cake will not turn out as spongy as the one baked using all-purpose flour.
Follow the exact eggless cake recipe and use a precise quantity of ingredients for a soft, fluffy, and light eggless chocolate cake at home. You can even turn the plain chocolate cake into the decorated one by trying any of the two easy-to-make frostings. Give it a shot using both with and without the oven and enjoy eggless chocolate cake at home.
People are also reading:
- How to Make Malai Kofta Recipe?
- How to make Garam Masala Recipe?
- How to make Gobi Manchurian Recipe?
- How to make Veg Fried Rice Recipe?
- How to Make Veg Pulao Recipe?
- How to make Sambar?
- How to Make Rajma Masala Recipe?
- How to Make Kadai paneer?
- How to Make Palak Paneer?
- How to Make Pav Bhaji Recipe?