Is your microphone not working on Windows 10? Take heart, as you are not the only one. It’s a common issue every other Windows user has to deal with at some point in time. Read on, as we help you resolve the issue, quickly and conveniently, all by yourself.
Windows 7 has been around since 2009, delighting users the world over. It has takers aplenty even after 12 years, a feat in itself. The Operating System (OS) ensures quicker access to applications, is widely compatible, and caters to virtual hard disks and file formats. However, Windows 7 is not perfect. It has its share of tradeoffs.
“Why is my microphone not working?” That’s a common issue Windows 7 users are facing the world over. The issue is frustrating, preventing you from taking calls, attending video conferences, enjoying your favorite tracks and movies, or indulging in gaming.
Thankfully, the microphone not working issue can be resolved with a few proven strategies.
How to Fix Microphone Not Working?
Why My Microphone Is Not Working In Windows 7/8/10?
Mic not working occurs due to different reasons. Here is a complete list of possible causes to allow you to identify the causes and take corrective measures accordingly.
- Issue With The Port
There may be something wrong with your Microphone that creates an issue in the Microphone connection with your system.
- Your Microphone May Be Muted
It is not an obvious issue. However, it is better to check the system’s volume and mute option.
- You Are Using Microphone
Before frustration sets in, it’s advisable to check your Microphone in another device to ensure that your Microphone is in working condition. The microphone test at the right time can save a lot of hassle.
- Audio Drivers Are Outdated
Sometimes, old audio drivers also lead to the “microphone not working” issues. It is better to check the audio drivers properly.
- Your Device or App Doesn’t Recognize Microphone
Various applications like Discord or Skype may need additional configuration for using your Microphone.
- Microphone Device Is Disabled
Chances are that your Microphone may be disabled in the setting of an application.
Fix Microphone Is Not Working on Windows 7/8/10
Windows 7, 8, or 10 – no matter which version you use, here’re a few proven tips to fix the microphone not working issue.
1. Restart the Windows Audio Service
- First, press Windows and R keys to open the Run utility. Next, type “services. msc,” and click on the OK option.
- Hit the Windows Audio driver icon and opt for Restart.
- Once the process is over, Windows Audio Service gets restarted automatically. Now, it’s time to go to the Properties.
- Ensure that Audio Startup must set the startup type to Automatic. To change it, open the menu and click on the Apply icon in the microphone settings.
2. How to Test Microphone Windows 10?
- First, open the Start menu, then go to the Control panel. Make sure that the Windows Control Panel must set the control panel’s view mode to “Category.”
- Now, click on the “Hardware and Sound” and choose “Manage audio devices” below the Sound category.
- Hit the “Recording” tab and Double-click on a problematic microphone for opening the properties in the next window.
- Finally, switch to the “Levels” tab and drag the “Microphone” slider to the right till it displays “100.” You need to make sure to set the “Microphone Boost” at more than average level, like “+24.0dB.”
3. Set The Microphone As The Default
- First, open the Start menu, then open the Control panel. Ensure that Windows must set the control panel’s view mode to “Category.”
- Next, click on the “Hardware and Sound” and choose “Manage audio devices” below the Sound category.
- It would help if you switched over to the “Recording” tab.
- Once done, opt for the Microphone icon. Later, hit the “Set Default” icon. (The following tips are optional but you should follow them to make sure that all applications can access the Microphone).
- Now double on the mic, then switch to the Advanced tab.
- Lastly, ensure that the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” option is checked. Hit the “Apply” icon to implement the changes.
4. Update All Audio Drivers
- First, press the Windows and R keys to open the Run Utility and type “devmgmt. msc,” then hit the OK icon.
- Expand the “Sound, video and game controllers” category. Next, opt for the “Update Driver Software,” under Device Manager Windows 7.
- At last, select “Search automatically
- for Microphone driver software.” Now, wait till all drivers update complete successfully, and you can also try the manual process.
By now, you are well aware of how to fix the “microphone not working Windows 10/8/7” issue. These are simple yet effective strategies to get your microphone up and running in minutes. However, if you still face issues, seeking some professional help is advised.