Rajma, also referred to as Red Kidney beans or Lal Lobia, are an Indian delicacy with plenty of health benefits. Loaded with various minerals, proteins and vitamins, they strengthen immunity, reduce symptoms of asthma and diabetes, and aid brain function. Also, these red kidney beans are one of the healthiest means of protein and carbohydrates in an average Indian diet.
One cup or 100 grams of boiled red kidney beans incorporate 5.7 grams of protein, 18 grams of carbohydrates, 140 calories, and 5.9 grams of fats. Furthermore, they are rich sources of magnesium, folate, and fibre, helping your digestive tract be healthy.
However, red kidney beans can be harmful if eaten raw or uncooked. While all beans come packed with Phytohaemagglutinin, red kidney beans incorporate this chemical compound in a higher quantity. Therefore, kidney beans are not consumed uncooked or raw.
One of North India’s most popular Punjabi curries is Rajma Recipe or Rajma Masala. Generally, Rajma Masala is an appetizing, spicy, and mouth-watering curry. Therefore, if you are looking for a healthy, simple, and flavorsome curry, Rajma Recipe is an unbeatable option.
How to make Rajma Recipe or Rajma Masala?
Let us recreate a restaurant-style healthy and spicy rajma masala at home with readily available ingredients, listed below:
Ingredients for Rajma Recipe:
- Rajma beans – ¾ Cup
- Chopped onions – 1 and ¼ Cups
- Tomatoes – 2 Large
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 and ½ Teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – ¼ Teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – ¾ Teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 and ¼ Teaspoon
- Salt – as required
- Ghee or oil – 2 Teaspoons
- Water – As required
- Kasuri methi – 1 Teaspoon
- Fresh cream – 2 Tablespoons
- Ginger juliennes and slit green chillers (optional)
Method for Rajma Recipe
- Take rajma in a large bowl and wash them well at least twice. Add water to the bowl and soak rajma for around eight to nine hours or overnight. Make sure not to cover that bowl completely. Otherwise, the beans may become sticky, especially in the summer season.
- Next, take a pressure cooker, add soaked rajma, and pour two cups of water. Pressure cook them on a medium flame for 3 to 4 whistles. Follow this method if you directly add soaked rajma to the pressure cooker. If you opt for placing a bowl of rajma in a cooker, allow to pressure cook for around 6 whistles.
- While the beans pressure cook, take a bowl, add two cups of water, and allow it to boil on a medium flame. Add chopped onions and boil them for around 3 to 4 minutes. Upon cooling the onions, blend them to form a smooth paste. If you wish to make the curry smoother and more flavoursome, feel free to blend 2 tablespoons of cooked rajma with onions.
- Add chopped tomatoes to a blending jar. Blend them well until you achieve a thick puree.
- Take a pan, add ghee or oil, a bay leaf, and cumin seeds. Later, add ginger-garlic paste and stir all well on a low flame until they leave an aroma.
- Next, add onion paste and saute well until it turns golden brown. Later, add tomato puree and allow it to cook for one to two minutes.
- Now, it’s time for adding spices. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix all well and cook until it turns thick and aromatic.
- Add cooked rajma to the thick gravy and also the stock. Again, pour ¾ cup of water and stir all well. If you want more water, you can add it depending upon the consistency you wish to achieve.
- Finally, can add slit green chillies and ginger juliennes if required. Cover the pan and leave the curry to cook for 12 to 15 minutes.
- At this stage, you can add more water if required. Finally, add crushed Kasuri methi and fresh cream.
Rajma Recipe or Rajma Masala is ready. You can serve this delicious and mouth-watering curry with rice. And, that’s your Rajma Chawal treat!
This healthy, nutritious, and delectable Rajma Masala will touch your soul with its spicy flavour and soft texture. If you are a vegan, you can skip using cream and opt for oil instead of butter. You can give a try to the Rajma Recipe, as it is quite simple yet delicious made with a few easily available ingredients.
people are also reading: