Be it the changing weather or allergies; we often suffer from sore throats. Right? Some find relief in medicines, soups, and fluids, but most go for teas for sore throat! If you too have a bad throat, some varieties of tea can come to your rescue. Let’s walk you through your best options out there.
But before that, let’s first know how some tea varieties help remedy sore throat.
How Do Teas for Sore Throat Help?
When you’re sick, drinking fluids helps a lot in general. If you are not taking sufficient fluids, the symptoms get worse and healing will take longer. The same logic applies to tea and sore throat as well. However, some tea varieties do more than just keep you hydrated. Here is how they help.
When served hot, tea oozes steam, which provides inhalation therapy to the throat. When the tissues in the throat that have gone dry due to irritation receive moisture, you experience instant relief from pain and discomfort. It works for sore throat caused by cold and respiratory issues.
Source of Antioxidants:
Herbal teas for sore throat often have polyphenols. These beneficial antioxidants help bring down soreness, itch, and swelling in the throat to allow you to achieve quick relief and recovery. Besides, some teas might come with anti-inflammatory compounds to relieve pain and discomfort.
Consuming lemon tea for sore throat might even strengthen your immune system. Yes, lemon is a rich source of Vitamin C, which helps fight infection and protects throat tissues. Source.
Forms Protective Layer:
If you are experiencing irritation and coughing, just help yourself to a hot cup of licorice root tea. It comes with natural compounds that form a protective layer over the throat tissues, relieving you from itching, irritation, and constant coughing. The tea might even help fight cancer. Source.
What Are The 7 Best Teas For Sore Throat?
Now that you know how some teas can help, it is time to focus on your best options. However, if the problem persists, you should see your doctor. Remember, these teas can remedy the issue but not treat it.
1. Teas For Sore Throat: Ginger Tea
Ginger tea is a boon for sore throat. Many of you must be taking it in times of sickness. There are plenty of benefits of this spice and medicinal plant. Additionally, you can preserve ginger in different forms, such as fresh, powdered, pickled, dried, candied, or crystallized.
Features of Ginger Tea
- It helps to relieve motion sickness.
- It is highly beneficial for managing blood pressure and protects your heart’s overall health.
- Ginger tea is also an exceptional choice for maintaining sugar levels.
- It is excellent for lowering pain and inflammation.
How to make Ginger Tea?
Simply add mashed ginger to your normal tea. Cook it for 5-6 minutes so the liquid soaks up all the flavors. You’re good to go!
2. Teas For Sore Throat: Lemon Tea
Another amazing option for your sore throat is lemon tea.
As you would already be familiar, lemon has Vitamin C. Vitamin C helps to protect and strengthen your immunity. Not just this, it is also good for giving a healthy skin texture and even discarding kidney stones.
Features of Lemon Tea
- Lemon tea detoxifies your body and purifies your liver.
- Excellent for dealing with infections and viruses.
- It helps in bettering your digestive system and regulating appetite.
- Myriad antioxidants in lemon tea are good for migraines.
- Lemon tea also mitigates depression and anxiety symptoms.
How to make Lemon Tea?
Boil the water and add lemon juice with tea. You can also add ginger if you wish. Keep boiling for 5-7 minutes. Turn off the flame and serve it hot.
3. Teas For Sore Throat: Peppermint Tea
Peppermint tea has immense benefits, and it is free of caffeine. It is an instant solution to your sore throat. Further, it is native to Asia and Europe. Interestingly, peppermint leaves have menthol, limonene, and menthone, known for their cooling properties.
Features of peppermint tea
- Along with sore throat, you also get relief from headaches and migraine pains.
- It helps with clogged sinuses too.
- In sickness, you get tired easily. Well, peppermint tea improves your energy levels immensely.
- Peppermint tea also helps in reducing both mental and physical fatigue.
- Excellent coverage against bacterial infections.
How to make peppermint tea?
Boil water in a pan and add peppermint leaves. Keep it for 5 minutes, then add honey and jaggery. Boil it well and serve hot!
4. Teas For Sore Throat: Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is loved by many. It is one of the best herbal teas available. Further, it has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce throat swelling and redness. Some antioxidants help boost your tissue health and provide energy. Additionally, chamomile tea also reduces cough. You get relief from the irritating blocked nose.
Features of chamomile tea
- Very effective for relaxing your sore throat.
- It helps you sleep well.
- It also aids in menstrual pain.
- It relieves anxiety symptoms and related discomfort.
- It helps with diabetes.
How to make chamomile tea?
Boil the chamomile flowers in a teapot and cover them with water. Let it boil for 5-6 minutes, and pour it hot.
5. Turmeric Tea
Turmeric is one of the most ancient ingredients used to fight infections. It has healing properties and is widely used. Some antioxidants help strengthen your immune system and relieve cold symptoms and sore throat.
Features of turmeric tea
- There is a good amount of vitamins and minerals in turmeric tea.
- It helps to improve your mental focus and relieve headaches during illnesses.
- Turmeric tea is very good for the skin.
- It protects your liver and boosts immunity.
- It helps increase your mental focus.
How to make turmeric tea?
Take a few pieces of fresh turmeric and cut them into small pieces or mash them. Or else, use turmeric powder and boil it in water. In both ways, it is feasible to make turmeric tea.
6. Licorice Root Tea
Licorice root has various Chinese herbal formulas. It has a sweet flavor. It offers antiviral properties that help you fight viruses or infections. Further, you can expect great relief from your sore throat. It also soothes your upset stomach and provides excellent immunity.
Features of licorice root tea
- It helps detoxify your body.
- Licorice fights infections and also prevents tooth decay.
- You can expect stomach relief if you are facing any discomfort.
- Get relief from fatigue.
- It helps to provide comfort in menses and menopausal discomfort.
How to make licorice root tea?
You must add licorice root to boiling water and keep it for 5-6 minutes. After that, add it with some honey and jaggery for a good taste.
7. Cinnamon Tea
Cinnamon is an interesting spice with soothing properties. It is anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial. Moreover, cinnamon tea is a good source of antioxidants. It helps reduce your blood pressure and promote healthy blood circulation. Cinnamon tea is also great for maintaining your cholesterol.
Features of cinnamon tea
- It is excellent for the skin.
- It is helpful in improving diabetes symptoms.
- Cinnamon tea is good for the overall health of your skin.
- It helps make you feel better in case of a cold, fever, or sore throat.
- It is also helpful in comforting any stomach-related discomfort.
How to make cinnamon tea?
Get cinnamon sticks or powder in case you cannot access cinnamon sticks. Boil the water, put these in the pan, and wait for 10 minutes. After that, serve it hot.
Some teas can be effective for remedying sore throat. While all teas for sore throat provide warmth and comfort, some might also boost your natural defenses and provide a protective coating. Some herbal teas even pack a punch with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that may relieve pain and help you recover quickly. So, the next time you feel throat discomfort, try one of these teas.
Although we need more research, these teas provide other health benefits too. From boosting your natural defenses to relieving fatigue and digestive issues, the benefits vary on the type of tea you drink. All and all, if you feel weak or unwell, give these teas a try! You might feel better.
Which one would you try? Tell me in the comment section below!
See you soon with more such content.
People are also reading:
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is tea beneficial for sore throats?
Tea is one of the best options to remedy your sore throat. Different herbs have different benefits for your infection and overall health. Do check out the above article for detailed information.
2. What type of tea is best for sore throat?
Many teas are good for sore throat, such as turmeric tea, ginger tea, cinnamon tea, licorice tea, etc. Try any of these options to feel relaxed.
3. Does tea help open the throat?
Tea is a good option for comforting your swollen throat as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Which tea helps your throat the most?
Many options are available, such as chamomile tea, turmeric tea, cinnamon tea, lemon tea, and peppermint tea.
5. How long does it take for a sore throat to be fine with tea?
You can expect your throat to get fine within a week.