The lure of authentic Chinese food holds strong across age groups and regions. It’s one of the most flavoursome, palatable and refreshing cuisines out there. Also, the variety is impressive, think Veg Manchurian, Hakka noodles, Spring rolls, Veg lollipops, veg Fried rice recipe, Veg roll, and the list goes on. That means there’s something for every mood and taste.
However, it is challenging to recreate at home the authentic Chinese taste that you associate with restaurants. Large stoves, burners, bulky woks, smoky and spicy aromas of Chinese restaurants cannot be replicated at home. However, certain authentic Chinese recipes can be easily prepared at home, veg fried rice for one.
Fried Rice Recipe
For people with busy schedules, the fried rice recipe is one of the staples. It is a super-easy and go-to Chinese meal preparable within a half hour. Fried rice itself is the main course, but other main course dishes can also be savoured with it.
This super-quick meal is the national dish of Malaysia and Indonesia, and the most eaten delicacy in Southeast Asia and East Asia. Fried rice originated in China during the Sui Dynasty and gradually gained global acceptance. Expectedly, there are different variations of fried rice, each having its unique ingredients and flavour.
Let’s try to recreate restaurant-style veg fried rice recipes at home with minimal and healthy ingredients. Without any further ado, let us begin.
How to make veg Fried Rice?
We will divide the entire recipe into three sections – Preparation, Vegetables, and Veg Fried Rice recipe. The idea is to make the process quick and effortless.
This section will help you understand how to cook rice perfectly for veg fried rice. Many prefer using leftover rice, but concerning health, it is not good. Let’s see how to cook non-sticky and fluffy rice.
- Take one cup of rice in a bowl, add water, and wash it well twice or thrice. If your family has more members, you can increase the amount of rice accordingly. In addition, prefer Basmati rice, as it has long grains and an excellent aroma.
- Add water to the washed rice and soak it for around 20 minutes. Soaking rice in water before cooking results in soft and fluffy rice. Also, it prevents rice from getting dry and hard while stir-frying it.
- Take a large pot and add four to five cups of water to it. Boil the water on a medium flame. Later, take the soaked rice and remove all water using a sieve. Next, add the rice to the boiling water.
- Add one teaspoon of oil to the boiling water because it prevents rice grains from being sticky. Make sure to maintain medium to high heat.
- Boil the rice for around 7 to 8 minutes until it turns al dente. Don’t make it too soft and mushy.
- Finally, drain off all water from the rice and allow it to cool. Take a ladle and gently stir the rice to check whether it is perfectly cooked and non-sticky. After the rice cools down fully, place a lid over it to prevent it from drying and turning hard.
Now, your al dente rice is ready to turn into fried rice.
Let us look at the vegetables you need for fried rice.
- Carrot – 1 small
- French beans – 5 to 6
- Small bell pepper – 1
- Finely chopped cabbage – ½ cup or sliced mushroom – ¼ cup
- Chopped garlic – 1 tablespoon
- Green onions – ½ cup
- Slit green chillies – 2 to 3
Take all these veggies, wash them properly, and chop them into small pieces. Feel free to include your favourite veggies too to personalise the taste.
Making Fried Rice
As chopped veggies and al dente rice are ready, it’s time to discuss the spices we need to add to the fried rice to recreate the restaurant-style taste.
- Star anise – 1
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Soya sauce – 1 tablespoon
- Vinegar – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Red chilli sauce – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Salt as required
- Crushed black pepper – ½ teaspoon
- Oil – 1 to 2 teaspoon
- Add oil to a wok and heat it on a high flame. Instead of the wok, you can even use a bigger pan. Once the oil heats up to an optimal temperature, add garlic and fry them for one minute. Let the garlic leave its raw smell and turn aromatic.
- Later, add star anise and saute it for a few seconds until it releases the aroma. Using star anise gives a strong and spicy flavour to fried rice. Many Chinese restaurants use star anise in many of their recipes.
- Now, add slit green chillies, carrot, cabbage or sliced mushroom, french beans, bell pepper, and green onions. Saute all veggies well for about four to five minutes. Make sure not to overcook veggies, as they need to be crunchy.
- If you wish to use sugar in fried rice, add it at this stage. Adding sugar helps veggies to maintain their colour and balance the taste.
- Now, add soya sauce and vinegar to the wok or pan. If you are adding red chilli sauce, add it at this stage only. Red chilli sauce brings a spicy and hot taste.
- Maintain the stove flame high while adding soya sauce and vinegar. However, vinegar is optional. But if you choose to add sugar, using vinegar will balance the taste.
- When all sauces start sizzling, add cooked rice, black pepper, and salt. Mix all well and toss the pan or wok.
Taste it to check whether it needs additional salt or any sauces. If needed, add them and stir well. More importantly, maintain the stove flame high at all times while preparing fried rice.
Wow, your spicy and mouth-watering fried rice is ready. You can sprinkle green onions on the top while serving. Coming to serving options, you can serve fried rice with Veg Manchurian, Gobi Manchurian, Chilli Paneer, or Chilli Potato.
Does the veg fried rice recipe lack the restaurant-style flavour and taste? Here’re some essential pro tips to help your cause.
- Always soak the rice for about 20 to 25 minutes before cooking it. Soaking the rice will help grains get fluffy and soft, perfect for your fried rice recipe.
- Washing rice before soaking is again essential. There is a significant starch content in rice that makes it way too soft and mushy when cooked. Washing the raw rice two to three times reduces the starch content considerably.
- Other than basmati rice, you can choose any long grain rice. But make sure to avoid short-grain rice with high starch content. They are unhealthy and can spoil the entire fried rice experience.
- We used the basic vegetables in our recipe. But you can also use some of your favourite vegetables like green peas, zucchini, and broccoli.
- As soya sauce or soy sauce is one of the core ingredients of any Chinese dish, choosing the best one is important. Always pick organic or naturally brewed soy sauce. Organic soy sauce is prepared by fermenting for many months or a year. On the other hand, inorganic soy sauce is prepared using chemicals.
- In our recipe, we have used vinegar. However, most fried rice recipes on the internet do not use vinegar, but it brings a moderately tangy taste. One of the best vinegar to use is apple cider vinegar, and make sure you do not use white vinegar due to its acidic nature.
The above-shared veg fried rice recipe is one of the easiest ones with the least ingredients required. Plus, it is a super-quick and go-to meal when you have hectic schedules. The best part is that it allows us to use any veggies, sauces, and spices according to our taste. Just give this recipe a try and experience the restaurant-style authentic fried rice at home.
people are also reading: