So, you are seeking out the best yoga blanket in the world to boost your practice. Well, Duniakagyan can help with a comprehensive list of expert-approved recommendations and much more.
If you think beating the chill is the sole purpose of a blanket, think again. This piece of fabric can even elevate your yoga practice. Yogis use it as a prop for comfort, convenience, safety, support, and of course, warmth. Well, that might have piqued your interest. In that case, here’s everything you wish to know about yoga blankets, from how to use and choose to the best options out there.
What is Yoga Blanket?
A yoga blanket is exactly what it means, a piece of fabric designed specifically for yoga. It bears a single layer with a medium thickness, neither overly thick nor overly thin. However, the thickness exceeds that of regular blankets by a few millimeters while the width and length are smaller.
Feel free to open, roll or fold them to achieve the desired warmth, support and alignment during poses. You can integrate it in Yin Yoga, Iyengar Yoga or any other yoga form that requires props. Alternatively, you can use it to keep chill at bay during meditation, Shavasana and other asanas.
These special blankets aren’t a recent phenomenon. Instead, they have been a permanent fixture in yoga practice across centuries. Some of the legendary yogis have referred to it as the best prop for yoga, regardless of the form. Over the years, yoga blankets have evolved in terms of style, size and materials. So, irrespective of your requirements, taste, and budget, there’s a yoga blanket for you.
Why Does a Yoga Blanket Make Sense?
Yoga Blanket is a multi-faceted prop with proven benefits. Here’s how it makes itself useful.
It’s all about Cushioning:
Certain yoga postures require wrists, pelvis, head, sternum and other bony parts to bear your entire weight. You need to cushion them to prolong your poses while warding off inconvenience, injury and fatigue. That’s where yoga blankets kick in. Just roll, pleat or fold it and place it where required – you are sorted.
Achieve the Desired Height:
Aligning the spine is important to pull off some difficult asanas, which calls for additional support. Here too, yoga blankets allow you to achieve the desired height for a perfectly aligned spine during restorative poses. With a folded blanket beneath your pelvis, you can expect an elongated spine and increased comfort during meditation. It’s one more reason for the popularity of yoga blankets.
Ensure a Gaping Stretch
Beginners or aged yogis often find it hard to stretch. A rolled or folded yoga blanket can provide the required support, helping in achieving a deeper stretch. Blankets allow for the smooth maneuvering in lunges, improved postures and effortless bending in plough pose and other poses that involve stretching. Also, you stay protected from injury when moving, stretching and bending on a blanket.
Versatility is the name of the game
It’s not for nothing that they call it the most versatile prop. No matter which yoga you pursue (Yin, Iyengar, or Bikram) or where you practice (at home or studio), a yoga blanket have you covered. Specifications might vary, but it is lightweight and compact enough to go wherever life takes you. Plus, it eliminates the need for spending on and carrying around props like bolsters and blocks.
The warmth comes by default
Why do we use blankets? Obviously, it’s to beat the chill. Even the yoga blanket can serve the same purpose. Imagine performing meditation, Shavasana, or any restorative asanas during winters. The chill might force you to abandon the pose unless you remedy it with the best yoga blanket. However, try not to yield to the temptation of falling asleep, especially during Shavasana.
How to Choose the Best Yoga Blanket?
We understand your eagerness to buy a yoga blanket and further your practice. But not so fast, unless you know how to choose the best one for your unique requirements. We recommend going for a high-quality blanket that can deliver versus your needs and last a lifetime of use and abuse. Mind you, cheaper ones can be a false economy if the blanket doesn’t live up to your expectations.
Armed with the following strategies, finding the right product is easier and quicker.
1. Determine the Material
First things first, get to know the material. All vital characteristics like overall quality, durability and performance depend on the material, that’s why. Typically, you have four major material options:
If you sweat profusely, wool blankets are the best bet. They come with exceptional absorbency to keep you dry and focused. The cozy aura makes them apt for beating the winter chill. You can count on them for support and comfort as well. On the downside, these blankets are bulky, susceptible to pilling, difficult to care for, and unsuitable for vegans. Also, wool blankets can be scratchy at times.
If a soft piece of fabric is a priority, go for cotton blankets. They are not just exceptionally soft but can also last long and perform well. Plus, you can vouch for them for breathability, sustainability, and resistance to temperature. However, cotton yoga blankets are prone to shrinkage when washed in hot water. Also, you’ll be paying a higher price to own an organic cotton blanket.
So, you are a connoisseur with an evolved style sense. In that case, linen blankets make perfect sense. They deliver a silky soft feel that no other material can replicate. You can even count on them for breathability and moisture absorption to stay cool and dry. Also, they are hypoallergenic, making them safe for those with allergies. The trade-offs include high prices and cumbersome upkeep.
When in the market for a yoga blanket, you are likely to come across the cotton-polyester-acrylic combination. They are the most durable and economical options out there and come in vast colour and design choices to support all tastes. These blankets won’t easily fade or pill upon prolonged use. However, synthetic blankets are not as soft, comfortable and sustainable as cotton, wool or linen.
Tips: Factor in your needs and budget before deciding on the material. While cotton is a safe bet for almost everyone, you can try linen if budget permits. Recycled materials can also be considered.
2. Know the Style:
The style determines the functionality and looks of a blanket. So you should factor in the style before committing to a purchase. Your key options include Serape, Indian and Felted.
Seeking out some additional cushioning for your bony parts? Well, don’t go any further than Serape yoga blankets. Featuring cotton-polyester-acrylic material, these blankets are thick and soft, providing the best cushioning and support for poses that involve stretching, bending and quick movements. Mind you, serape yoga blankets are handmade in Mexico and exported globally.
The conventional striped weave make them warm, while the ethnic patterns and striking colours render them great looks. They are the most popular option on the market, despite being costly and hard to care for. BKS Iyengar was a huge fan of these blankets and so are yoga studios globally. Call it Serape blanket, Mexican blanket, Falsa blanket or Saltillo blanket – the essence remains the same.
As the name says it all, these blankets are hand-loomed in the Indian subcontinent. Compared to Serape blankets, they are a cost-effective option with more intense knit. Also, they lack the fringe. Predominantly, Indian yoga blankets are made of cotton but wool options are also available. You can rely on them for warmth, softness, durability, sustainability, performance, and price.
Made of wool, these yoga blankets are denser, more voluminous and ideal for hot sleepers. Expect them to resist moisture, heat, fire, dust and mites while keeping allergies at bay. This style of yoga blanket is good for cushioning but not for support. Also, they might alter in shape, colour and lose elasticity upon regular use.
Tips: Again, consider your needs and decide accordingly. While Mexican blankets are the most popular option, Indian blankets also work for most situations and tastes. Also, they are cheaper.
3. Ascertain the Dimensions
The size determines the usefulness a yoga blanket. The last thing on your mind would be to put up with a blanket that’s either too small or too big. So, choose the dimensions carefully. Let’s introduce a caveat. The blanket dimensions vary vastly across brands, models, materials, and styles.
- The length is anywhere between 6.5 feet (78 inches) to 7 feet (84 inches)
- The width varies from 4.5 feet (54 inches) to 5.5 feet (66 inches).
- Likewise, they weigh between 1.2 kg (2.8 lbs) and 1.8 kg (04 lbs).
- Custom sizes are available, not that easily though.
Tips: A six feet tall person will need a larger blanket than someone five-five. So, consider your height and choose accordingly. It should cover you in a corpse pose where you lie down fully stretched. If you fail to find a cut-to-size blanket, you are better off with larger blankets that help you do more.
4. Choose the brand carefully
With yoga gaining traction, the market is flooded by yoga accessory brands. However, not all brands are created equal, as some offer better quality, prices, and perks than the rest. That calls for some research. The thumb rile is to shortlist a few products and then research their labels well.
Tips: Go ahead with the purchase only if the brand is credible. Run-off-the-mill brands aren’t an option, or you will end up putting up with inferior product and pathetic service. Even though the blanket isn’t that big an investment, it is still an investment. And, you wouldn’t like it go down the drain.
5. Yoga Blanket Maintenance
Your yoga blanket requires proper maintenance to last long while performing well and looking good. The care instructions are brand and model specific, meaning they vary from one brand and model to the other. That said, certain cleaning and maintenance practices are common across the board.
- Depending on the material, yoga blankets tend to shrink, fade and bleed when washed in a machine or with hot water. As such, it’s advisable to hand wash them with normal water.
- Let the blanket dry in the air after the wash. It may be time-consuming but safe. Tumble drying might lead to loosened threads.
- Your wool blanket requires dry cleaning. Washing it at home can be damaging.
- Do not iron, dye or bleach the blanket, regardless of the material or style.
- Harsh detergent is a big no. Instead, go for the milder options.
Tips: The thumb rule is to adhere to the manufacturer’s care instructions.
Top Nine Yoga Blankets
The market is replete with yoga blankets coming in all shapes and sizes. Choosing the right one suiting your needs, taste and budget might be intimidating. Breathe easy, as Dunia Ka Gyan has done the heavy lifting for you with a list of top yoga blankets in the world.
But why should you trust our recommendations? Well, our team of yogis tested about 50 blankets for over a month and handpicked the best options across categories. Our chosen categories represent all key parameters that you should factor in before purchasing. These include price, aesthetics, dimensions, material, longevity, support, style, and more.
To be doubly sure, we even roped in certified yoga instructors. Our testing results coupled with instructors’ insights became the basis of our list. With all bases meticulously covered, you can never go wrong with our expert-approved recommendations.
1. The Best Overall: Benevolence LA Premium Mexican Yoga Blanket
- Brand: Benevolence LA
- Dimensions: 80″ L x 50″ W
- Weight: 1.35 kg
- Style: Mexican (Serape)
- Material: Recycled Fibers
- Color: Sombra, Aqua, Rojo & Blanco
- Pattern: Tapestry, Striped
- Country of Origin: USA
- Price: USD 29
It is hands down the best option you could find on the market. And, our testing confirms it. The blanket is painstakingly handmade with precision and care by adept Mexican artists on a conventional woolen loom. We found it to be highly aesthetic, soft, durable, comfortable, versatile, sustainable, and practical. Priced at USD 29, it could be a bit expensive though.
- Versatility: Count on it for warmth when indulging in meditation or Shavasana on a chilly morning. It also doubles up as a throw and a camping and car blanket.
- Aesthetics: With bold colours and ethnic patterns, make a style statement wherever you go, whether to a beach, picnic, concert, camping or on long walks.
- Comfort: if our testing is something to go by, it fares well on the comfort front as well. Soft, compact, and hypoallergenic, it’s designed for comfort and support.
- Dimensions: 80 inches in length and 50 inches in width, it has a sufficient area to allow you to do more on the mat. Weighing 1.35 kg, it’s also transportation-friendly.
- Sustainable: Thanks to recycled fibers, the blanket is easy on the planet.
- Upkeep: It’s machine washable, making it easy to care for. Also, softness increases with each wash.
- Brand: It’s a premium offering from a premium brand, Benevolence LA.
- Charity: The brand donates a part of your spending to the “Water Mission,” which aims to make water accessible to all.
What We Didn’t Like
- We found it to shed upon multiple washes.
- Some of our editors found it too thin for their liking.
2. The Best Organic Cotton: Demmex Certified 100% Organic Cotton Yoga Blanket
- Brand: DEMMEX
- Dimensions: 71 Inch x 36 Inch
- Weight: 430 grams
- Color: Grey, Khaki, Vintage White and 17 others
- Material: 100% Organic Turkish Cotton
- Pattern: Diamond Weave
- Country of Origin: Turkey
- Price: USD 22.80
Seeking out the best organic cotton yoga blanket? Don’t go any further than Demmex Certified 100% Organic Cotton blanket. True to its name, the blanket features 100% Organic Cotton from Turkey and certification from GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standards). Even the dye used is fully organic with an OEKO-TEX certification for complete peace of mind.
- Versatile: Versatility comes by default with this organic cotton masterpiece. Feel free to use it as a throw, car seat cover, or a spa, beach and picnic blanket.
- Aesthetics: Available in 20 vibrant colours with a stunning diamond weave and neat double-knotted tassels, it adds to your style on the mat and off it.
- Material: The organic cotton is breathable, absorbent, quick-drying and soft. These qualities are evident in the blanket, making it a fine option for modern-day yogis.
- Softness: Thanks to the material, it’s the softest option we came across during the testing. It comes pre-washed, which adds to the softness while negating shrinkage.
- Support: The blanket isn’t just easy to fold and roll and also delivers the support you require for those complex bending, stretching and sitting poses.
- Durable: It can endure the test of time. Even the fringe and tassel hold up well.
What we didn’t like
- Measuring 71 x 36 Inches, the dimensions are a concern if you are over 6 feet.
- Lint might surface after a couple of washes
3. The Best Wool: Manduka Recycled Wool Yoga Blanket
- Brand: Manduka
- Dimensions: 82″L x 60″W
- Weight: 1.5 kg
- Color: Sediment
- Style: Indian Blanket
- Material: 75% Recycled wool and 25% recycled synthetic fibers
- Country of Origin: India
- Price: USD 50
When a wool yoga blanket is a priority, Manduka Recycled Wool Blanket makes sense. It’s super soft, warm, stackable, and versatile, making it ideal for keeping the chill at bay, getting the desired support, and making a style statement. However, the price can be a deal-breaker.
- Versatile: Folding, rolling and stacking – everything is easy and quick. Rely on it for perfect support during both restorative as well as the more intense ones. Indoors or outdoors, it’ll complement your style and further your practice. When not in use, it can grace your car seats and bedrooms. Also, it can replace bolsters and blocks.
- Durable: It’s the most hard-wearing blanket we tested. With premium wool and a dense weave, it doesn’t stretch or pile even after several washes. The edges feature double-locked stitching to ward off fraying. It’s designed to last longer and age well.
- Sustainable: The material features 75% wool and 25% synthetic fibres. With both being recycled, the environmental impact is substantially restricted.
- Brand: Manduka is an established brand with a reputation for quality.
What we didn’t like
- Like all wool blankets, it’s difficult to maintain. Dry cleaning is required.
- You’ll be spending USD 50 to own it, which is a serious investment for a yoga blanket
- The colour choices are limited.
- It might get slightly itchy with regular use
4. The Most Sustainable: Carolina Morning Designs Organic Cotton Yoga Blanket
- Brand: Carolina Morning Designs
- Dimensions: 76″L x 57″W Inches
- Weight: 1.81 kg
- Color: Organic Undyed Natural
- Material: 100% Organic Cotton
- Country of Origin: USA
- Price: USD 103.50
For someone who cares about the planet, a sustainable yoga blanket is a big plus. So, make way for Carolina Morning Designs Organic Cotton Blanket, the most sustainable thing we tested. From materials to production processes, everything is eco-friendly.
- Sustainable: Made of ethically harvested 100% organic cotton, it has the lowest possible ecological impact. Sustainability is at the core of Carolina Morning Designs, which is undeniably a green company. The company strives to reduce the carbon footprint and make the planet a greener and healthier place to live in.
- Versatility: Even on the versatility front, the blanket fares well. From keeping the chill at bay to providing stable space to carry out yoga drills, it caters to all. Feel free to fold or roll it and place it wherever you require support or cushioning.
- Aesthetics: It has to be one of the most visually appealing pieces of fabric we came across during the testing. The design is simple yet mesmerizing while the Organic Undyed Natural cushy texture and hemmed edges also exude eye appeal.
What we didn’t like
- Colour choices are limited to one.
- Smaller size might be an issue for taller yogis
- Price is on the higher side. Shipping charges also apply.
- Shrinkage and fading are noticeable.
5. The Best Aesthetic: Tranquil Tribe Boho Yoga Blanket
- Brand: Tranquil Tribe
- Dimensions: 70 L x 52 W inches
- Weight: 980 grams
- Color Combination: Blue, White & Grey; Charcoal & Blush
- Pattern: Tapestry
- Style: Bohemian Blanket
- Material: Blend Poly/Cotton
- Country of Origin: China
- Price: USD 79.99
Feast your eyes on the Tranquil Tribe Boho Blanket. This reversible blanket is awe-inspiring, regardless of the side. The Bohemian stunner will definitely make you forget those Falsas! We found it to be comfortable, and warm, hence, ideal for meditation and Shavasana.
- Aesthetics: Be ready to be mesmerized by the two mandala patterns on each side. The blue, white and grey combination on one side soothes you while the charcoal and blush blend on the other pushes you into a deep trance. Just wrap it around yourself during those intense meditation sessions and make heads turn.
- Versatility: It’s not all about looks. Rather, it is a versatile piece of fabric that can be easily incorporated into your practice to gain extra height and support. The best use cases are meditation and Shavasana but it is a welcome addition to your bedroom and living room. Being compact and mid-weight, it can travel along with you to the beach, picnic, evening strolls. Yes, it can double up as a throw, shawl or rug.
- Reversible: Reversibility has its share of benefits. You can switch between sides to suit your mood and taste while making an elusive style statement.
- Upkeep: Feel free to wash in a machine with a mild detergent. You can even tumble dry it.
- Money Back: if the blanket fails to live up to your expectations, you are at liberty to raise a return. The brand will provide full refunds, subject to certain conditions.
What we didn’t like
- It’s pricey, costing around USD 79.99
- The Poly/Cotton blend makes it a bit less comfortable and sustainable
6. The Easiest to Maintain: Open Road Handmade Solid Color Yoga Blanket
- Brand: Open Road Goods
- Dimensions: 80 (L) x 50 (W) x 0.01 (H) inches
- Weight: 1.2 Kg
- Color: Aqua, Charcoal, Green, Yellow and more
- Material: Acrylic, polyester & cotton blend
- Pattern: Navajo
- Style: Mexican
- Price: 34.99
Is washing a hassle for you? Meet Open Road Handmade Solid Color Yoga Blanket. It not only requires minimal upkeep but the washing requirements are simple as well. We found it to be soft, thick, comfortable, reliable and versatile, besides being easy to upkeep.
- Upkeep: It’s machine washable and can endure even harsh detergents. Just throw it into any wash cycle and you are sorted. Tumble drying is also possible. With each wash, the fabric softens. Maintaining a yoga blanket doesn’t get easier than this.
- Versatility: Use it as a beach rug, bedspread, throw or car seat cover, it serves all purposes. Don’t have a yoga bolster? Breathe easy, the blanket can replace it.
- Durable: it’s built to last, thanks to acrylic, polyester and cotton blend. Do whatever you can on the mat and off it too, the blanket will take it all and perform well.
- Dimensions: The blanket also sticks out for its large size, measuring 80 x 50 inches in length and breadth respectively. This mid-weight serape is travel-friendly as well.
7. The Best For Restorative Practices: Yogikuti Yoga Blanket
- Brand: Yogikuti
- Dimensions: 80 (L) x 60 (W) inches
- Weight: 1400 gm to 1500 gm
- Material: 100% Cotton
- Style: Indian Blanket
- Color: White, Purple, Grey & Orange
- Country of Origin: India
So, restorative asanas constitute a majority of your practice. Well, in that case, YogiKuti Yoga Blanket could help you take it to the next level. It’s weaved manually by seasoned Indian artisans with purpose and precision. The finesse thus achieved is just stunning.
Our editors and instructors were in awe of its soft hand feel, plush looks and warmth.
- Ideal for restorative poses: Crafted from 100% cotton, it’s soft, warm and sturdy. Roll it and fold it into any desired shape for the right cushioning, height, bending and stretching during restorative practice. Of course, it ensures a stable base for shoulder stands. Also, it’s safe on the skin and larger than the standard Mexican blankets to keep your entire body covered and warm when in Shavasana.
- Comfort and support: Thanks to high-quality cotton, the blanket is soft enough to caress and comfort your body both on and off the mat. Soft yet sturdy, it delivers the required support, irrespective of the restorative asana you try.
- Versatile: Compact and stylish, carry it around to the yoga studio, picnic, beach or wherever life takes you. Just fold it and place it under the joints – the need for blocks and bolsters is outright. Plus, you can use it to stay warm during Shavasana.
- Dimensions: Measuring 80 x 60 inches, this is a large-sized yoga blanket apt for outdoor and indoor use. At 1.5 kilograms, the weight is slightly higher though.
What we didn’t like
- We found it susceptible to shrinkage and fading with each wash.
- The wearing is also noticeable after a month of regular use.
8. The Most Economical: Benevolence LA Authentic Mexican Yoga Blanket
- Brand: Benevolence LA
- Dimensions: 75 x 50 x 0.01 inches
- Weight: 900 grams
- Style: Serape
- Color: Coral, Azure blush, Forest and 8 more
- Material: 100% Recycled Acrylic & Cotton
- Price: $40.00 (MRP) $21.99 (after discount)
If price is the prime deciding factor for you, look no further than Benevolence LA Authentic Mexican Blanket. It’s cost-effective but certainly not run-off-the-mill. The blanket rivals the best in terms of looks, performance and versatility without asking you to pay over the odds.
- Prices: If you think quality doesn’t come cheap, this serape will change your perception. Priced at USD 40, this authentic serape won’t burn a hole in your pocket. Better still, you could save USD 18 flat if you order right now from Amazon. That’s a staggering 45% discount! Additional USD 2 savings are available with a coupon.
- Versatile: Rolled or folded, use it which way you like to further your practice. If post-yoga naps are your thing, it keeps you covered. Also, it comes in handy for gracing car seats and beds and outdoor activities like picnics, camping and more.
- Aesthetics: Designed in the US and crafted in Tlaxcala through traditional practices and techniques, the Serape exudes traditional Mexican charm and a plush look. Available in 11 vibrant colours, it might spoil you for choices though.
- Durability: Thanks to a dense weave and high-quality materials, this handwoven serape is built to last. Like all cotton blankets, it gets softer with each wash.
- Comfort: With top-grade cotton, expect a super soft and breathable surface for enhanced comfort during poses, meditation or a nap.
What we didn’t like
- We found it to be vulnerable to shedding
9. The Thickest: Hugger Mugger Recycled Plaid Yoga Blanket
- Brand: Lil’ Diner
- Dimensions: 70 x 75 x 1/4 Inches
- Weight: 1.90 kg
- Style: Mexican
- Color: Green, Blue, Purple & Black
- Material: Recycled polyester and acrylic fibers
- Pattern: Plaid
- Country of Origin: Mexico
- Price: USD 45.95
Make way for the heavy-weight, Hugger Mugger Recycled Plaid Yoga Blanket. At .25 inches, it is the thickest piece of no-wool fabric we tested to compile this list. It is ideal for yogis seeking something to stay warm and well-supported while warding off wool allergies.
- Versatility: Thanks to the standout thickness, it supports your hips and shoulders during seated positions and shoulder stands respectively. Achieving extra height and cushioning is also a possibility. Plus, it can be draped over the body in Savasana for snugness. It has the kind of thickness to replace yoga bolsters when folded.
- Material: The recycled polyester and acrylic fibres make this Mexican blanket soft, sustainable, long-lasting, hard-wearing, and safe for yogis with wool allergies.
- Aesthetics: The traditional plaid pattern and four vibrant colour options are the hallmarks. Add to it the perfectly crafted tassels, the blanket is an attention-grabber. Moreover, reversibility is a bonus with both sides being equally impressive.
What we didn’t like
- Some of our editors found it to be too thick and heavy
So, that was our take on the best yoga blankets on the market. It was a grueling task to test about 50 offerings from the top brands and handpick the nine best options. But, we did it with a grin to narrow down the options for you. Our overarching goal was to help you arrive at informed decisions. When it comes to choosing a suitable yoga blanket from the shortlisted options, it all boils down to your needs, preferences, taste and budget.
FAQs: The Best Yoga Blankets
What is a Yoga Blanket?
Yoga blanket is a piece of single-layered fabric that serves as a prop in any form of yoga. It’s marginally thicker, shorter and less wider than normal blankets.
What are the Benefits of a Blanket in Yoga?
Yoga blankets are a versatile prop, lending itself well to different applications. It can render warmth in restorative asanas, cushion the bony parts for added comfort, help achieve the desired height and support in seated asanas, and ensure smoother bending in stretching poses. Yoga blankets even serve as a replacement for multiple yoga props, hence, proving cost-effective in the long run.
People are also reading: