Himachal Pradesh is a popular tourist state drawing people from far and wide. You might have thought of visiting Shimla, Manali, Dalhousie, and other popular cities in the state. But let me introduce you to one of the hidden gems of this fascinating state, Una.
Una is the bordering district of Himachal Pradesh that shares borders with Punjab. Una is the hub for religious and adventure-loving tourists. It’s nestled in the green hills and the weather & location are so pleasant that it will drive your blues away.
Una Himachal Pradesh Tourism- History, Hotels & Attractions
History of Una
The history of Una is diverse and rich, however, dominated by two small princely states namely- Jaswan State and Kutlehar State. Note that, save for the Eastern part, the entire present-day Una was under the Kangra rulers. Some historians claim it to be a fief that later asserted independence amidst the political upheaval in North India.
1. Jaswan State
Purv Chand, a scion of the Katoch dynasty, established the Jaswan state in 1170 AD. It was separated from the Kangra state and constituted a huge chunk of the present-day Una. In total, 27 rulers from the dynasty held sway over what we know today and the district. Later, Akbar annexed it and became its de-facto ruler during medieval times. Save for a few rebellions, the state had allegiance towards the Mughals. Come 1815 AD, Sikhs under Maharaja Ranjit Singh captured Jaswan from the Mughals.
2. Kutlehar State
Occupying the Eastern Una, Kuthlehar state was smaller than the Jaswan state. It was also once a part of the mighty Kangra empire under Sansar Chand. Kuthlehr was founded by Jaspal, a Brahmin who received the honorary status of a Kshatriya by the end of his regime. The state had 40 different kings ruling it at different points in time.
Before Himachal Pradesh came into being in 1966, the present Una district was the tehsil of Hoshiarpur of Punjab. It was a part of Kangra district from 1966 to 1972. Later in 1972, Una achieved the “district” rank. The originator of the city was Baba Kaladhari.
Popular places to visit in Una
Eager to visit Una, Himachal Pradesh? Read on, as we have got a few places and things for you to do here. You should include them in your bucket list to experience Una fully.
1. Thaneek Pura
Are you a blogger, painter, or photographer? So, Thaneek Pura has got your vibes! It is a village covered with hills and picture-perfect landscapes and Hindu shrines. Adventure lovers can go trekking or camping while the religious ones can visit Radha Krishna Temple, Guga Jahar Veer Temple, Bada Khoo, etc. if wrestling is your thing, feel free to witness wrestling matches featuring wrestlers from Punjab and other states. This hill station near here is the perfect getaway for a fun-filled vacation with family or alone.
- Location– Thaneek Pura, Una, Himachal Pradesh.
- Best nearby attractions– Chintpurni Temple (3 km).
- Best time to visit– Any time but not during monsoons
2. Pir Nigaha
Pir Nigaha is a unique temple that’s worth visiting in Una District. It is located in Basoli village and the scenic beauty will keep you awe-struck while the serenity will provide mental peace. There are two temples, namely Lakh Datta and Peer Nagaha. It is assumed that devotees experience “Barkat” (prosperity) after visiting this holy shrine.
- Location– Pir Nigaha, Basoli, Una, Himachal Pradesh (8 km from Una).
- Best nearby attractions– N/A.
- Best time to visit– Any time of the year
3. Dhyunsar Mahadev Temple
Located in the heart of District Una Himachal Pradesh, Dhyunsar Mahadev Mandir has religious significance for Hindus. The temple is devoted to “Lord Shiva” and people say all the wishes come true after visiting this temple. The ambiance is calm and soothing, perfect for those seeking peace. The history of the temple dates back to ancient times.
If legend is something to go by, it was built by the Pandavas during their “agyatvas”. During Shivratri, the whole temple is decorated with flowers and devotees flock to offer their prayers to “Bholenath.” The view is mesmerizing enough to etch in your memory.
- Location– Talmehra, Una, Himachal Pradesh.
- Nearby best attractions– Kaleshwar temple.
- The best time to visit– You can visit from early morning till dusk.
4. Chintpurni Temple
Una is known as “The land of Mata Chintapurni Mandir.” Chintpurni temple is devoted to Chinna Mastika Devi who is believed to confer peace and prosperity on her devotees. This “Shaktipeeth” is in the form of a Pindi shape, featuring a headless, round stone. The temple is located at a height of 3,208 feet and has a pretty view from the top. In a nutshell, this magnificent temple is a must-visit if you seek plenary indulgence.
- Location– Chintpurni Temple, Una, Himachal Pradesh.
- Best nearby attractions– Solah Singhi Dhar (Jaswan Dhar Range), Sheetla Devi.
- Best time to visit– 7 AM to 10 PM (recommended to visit before 6 PM).
5. Sheetla Devi Temple
If you think these were the only holy places in Una, think again. Sheetla Devi Temple is another holy place that draws a deluge of devotees all through the year. This temple is filled with a powerful aura that will refresh your senses and empower your soul. Also, the location is just ideal, nestled at the top of the hill. Just bask around and soak in the natural beauty or have a great picnic time with your family, it’s up to you.
- Location– Takka Rd, Una, Himachal Pradesh.
- Best nearby attraction– Darbar Baba Sahib Singh Bedi and Chintpurni temple.
- The best time to visit– 5 AM to 9 PM.
6. Kila Baba Bedi Ji
Kila Baba Bedi Ji is an ancient memorial, located at the top of a mountain, offering a majestic scene of the surroundings. It’s a well-known vacation spot for nature lovers, adrenaline junkies, and peace seekers alike. The Kila (fort) is a tomb-like structure built in Indian-Afghani style and said to be associated with Guru Nanak. You can also try mountain biking if adventure is your idea of a vacation.
- Location– Near the Main market, Una, Himachal Pradesh
- Nearby best places– N/A.
- The best time to visit– Early morning till dusk
7. Pong Dam
Pong Dam is one of the major attractions. Constructed in 1975 in the honor of Maharana Pratap, the dam is located on the Beas River. That’s why they also call it the Beas dam. Like any dam, it too stores the water for irrigation purposes and generates power. The dam road/bridge is 1,600 meters in length, which was an engineering feat back in the day. If you are a bird watcher, this place will exceed your expectations. Also, don’t forget the boat ride. It’s a fine experience provided water doesn’t scare you.
- Location– Kangra District, Himachal Pradesh (80 km from Una).
- Nearby Attractions– N/A.
- Best time to visit– Any time of the day
A Few best stays in Una for your visit
The Punjab Kesari Himachal Una is a popular tourist destination and business center. So, plenty of hotels, big and small, are readily available for a safe and comfortable stay.
1. Trishma Resorts
Trishma Resorts is one of the finest places to stay. The accommodation, staff and the food are something to write home about. Also, the resort has all the amenities that will ease your trip. The prices are fairly competitive.
- Location– Trishma, Nangal-Una Highway, Himachal Pradesh.
- Price range– Rs 2,000 to Rs 3,000
2. Hotel Maya Deluxe
Good ambiance, cooperative staff, and delicious food at a budget-friendly cost – you get it at Maya Deluxe. So, I guess it’s one of the best hotels for your stay.
- Location– Near bus stand, Una, Himachal Pradesh.
- Price– Rs 1,680.
3. Hotel Natraj Place
A multi-cuisine and a great service provider, Hotel Natraj Palace could be considered when in Una. The food quality is at its best, with multiple cuisines readily available. You can enjoy the meal along with some heady drinks at the in-house minibar.
- Location– Hotel Natraj Palace Santokhgarh Road, Opp, Una, Himachal Pradesh
Price– Rs 1,700
4. Hotel New York Plaza
Not only the name but the hotel is also special. New York Plaza hotel is a pocket-friendly vacation accommodation provider featuring all the amenities to keep you in high spirits. They have spacious and well-appointed rooms and suites, along with gourmet meals.
- Location– Una-Nangal Road Near Durga Colony, Una.
- Price– Rs 2500
5. PM Residency
An easy-to-reach hotel is PM Residency. This hotel has normal rooms as well as suites to make your stay comfier.
- Location– SH-25, Una-Nangal Road Rakker Colony, Una.
- Price Range– Rs 1,500 to Rs 2,500.
Best Restaurants in Una
- Chef Special– Location- F79C+98C, Una, Himachal Pradesh; Timings- 8 AM to 11 PM.
- Friend’s Cafe– Location- Shop no.1, First Floor, Dhesi Complex, Una, Himachal Pradesh; Timings- 11 AM to 10 PM.
- Hunger Bites– Location- Near bus stand, Una-Hamirpur Road, Una, Himachal Pradesh; Timings- 11 AM to 8:30 PM.
- Amritsari Dhaba– Location- Near Mata Chintpurni Temple, Chintpurni, Una, Himachal Pradesh; Timings- 24 hours.
- The Fire & Ice Restaurant Cum Bar– Location- Old Hoshiarpur Road, Ward No – 9, Una, Himachal Pradesh; Timings- 12:00 PM to 12:00 AM.
- Arc Foods by Checkervartys– Location- 2nd Floor, Arvind marg, New Market, Opp Ranjindra book store, Una, Himachal Pradesh; Timings- 11 AM to 10 PM.
Distance of Una from various cities
Wondering Delhi to Una distance? Well, just keep reading.
- Delhi– 352.6 km
- Manali– 244.4 km
- Shimla– 160 km
- Jalandhar– 95 km
- Hoshiarpur– 41.0 km
Best time to visit Una
Una is one of the most versatile destinations in India. You can plan a trip anytime but not during the rains. The Una Himachal temperature is pleasant all through the year. However, during winters it might reach 0 to 18 degrees Celsius. In summers, it ranges from 15 to 30 degrees Celsius. In short, you can visit any time of the year.
How to reach your destination
- Airport Journey– Una doesn’t have an airport. So, the nearest airports for Una include Chandigarh International Airport- 123 km; Sri Guru Ram Das Jee International Airport, Amritsar – 162.3 km.
- Road Journey– The buses and taxis are available hourly. You can also drive your private car. Plus point of a road journey is that there are loads of scenic beauties you can capture during the journey.
- Train Journey– The train fares are the most reasonable. Una has its own railway station that receives regular trains from Delhi, Haridwar, Chandigarh, etc.
Una is a marvelous place where you can enjoy a wholesome trip any time of the year. The places, the hotels, and the view is something that will catch your eyes instantly. it is for everyone, nature lovers, religious-minded folks, honeymooners, and adventure seekers. A friendly reminder- Must take warm clothes during winters and strictly follow the covid guidelines during the entire trip. Remember, your life is precious!
Have a happy and safe journey!
People are also reading: